Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Two breakers, one circuit

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 19:02:19 -0400, Claude Hopper
wrote:

drhender wrote:
Recently, I was changing a light fixture on my back porch and
discovered that I had to shut off two breakers to cut the power to the
circuit. I take that to indicate that somewhere, somehow the two
circuits have effectively been crossed together such that the circuit
can draw power from either breaker.

I'd like to fix this... is there a simple way of determining where the
two circuits are conjoined?

Thanks.

I hope the two breakers are not side by side in the panel. That would
mean you have 220 volts going out to that light with both on. Careful
you don't burn the place down.

If these were intended to be 2 separate 110V circuits, that got joined
accidentally, you would have a short circuit. Hope you don't have
those non-trip breakers.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."