Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default is it always better to use a thicker filter in furnace?

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 22, 2:26 pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

N8N wrote:
On Oct 22, 12:46 pm, dpb wrote:
Bob F wrote:
"dpb" wrote in ...
james wrote:
My furnace was installed with a 16x20x1 pleated filter.
It looks like there is enough space to fit a 16x20x2 filter. This
should last
longer and reduce air resistance.
Is there any reason not to?
How can doubling the thickness reduce resistance?
It doubles the surface area.
?????
--
He did specify pleated. If you can find a 2" thick filter with a
single layer of media, he is correct, the surface of the media would

Is there room in that dunce chair for two of us, dpb? It don't make no
damn sense to me, either.- Hide quoted text -

/\/\/\/\ -- that's a 1" thick pleated filter

I can't do it with my keyboard, but extend those pleats to 2" and
decrease the angle so each 2" pleat is just as wide as a 1" pleat, and
you've got twice the surface area.

And twice the material in the same opening.