Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction
RickH RickH is offline

Default Engineered Hardwood and Water Spills

On Oct 15, 11:17*am, Harry Muscle wrote:
Does anyone have any info or comments about how resistant engineered
hardwood is to water spills? *I know it's very resistant to chaning
shape due to moisture (ie: humidity), however, I'm talking about
spilling a cup of water and not being able to clean it up for a few
hours (as an example). *Will it swell up like laminate floors do and
never return to it's original shape? *Or will it behave like real
hardwood and basically do nothing? *Btw, my example assumes the water
landed somewhere where it can get in between the pieces of wood and
down to the bottom section of the engineered wood.

If you have info or personal experiences I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
Harry

From my experience laminates with a pressed board substrate will swell
if you dont get the liquid up within an hour or so, It absorbes down
at the seems. Laminates with a plywood substrate maybe work better,
but I have some pressed board stuff in a utility room and it swelled
when I had a water heater start trickling. When it dried it went back
to normal.