Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default Skimming walls - do reveals need new corner beading?

In article ,
writes
On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 19:30:51 +0100, fred wrote:

In article ,
writes

It's just tape with two metal sections stuck on in the middle( the
grey parts with a very small gap between) which you fold over and
fix to the corner of the wall and plaster over it .
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/IMG_9189.jpg

The way you've shown it in the photo (metal out) is the intuitive way I
expected to use it but the instructions say metal strips to the wall
with the tape on the outside. After a (very) short attempt at using it I
dumped it in the bin and got some low profile external bead, much
better.

Ah right ..I never thought of using it paper side out ...I've not
actually used it at all ...just checked the box it came in and it has
no instructions .
What didnt you like about it ?

I thought it was going to be a light, possibly aluminium, strip with a
simple fold down the middle that could be stuck on the corner[*] before
applying a light skim, just to the corner, feathering out over 6" or so
to nothing.

It turns out that you are meant to apply a wet plaster coat to the
corner then embed the tape in that with the metal inwards, then smooth
over the outer with more plaster. In short, it is too many balls in the
air for the inexperienced plasterer.

Also, with the two metal strips not mechanically linked (except by the
paper tape) I thought it wouldn't be as strong as a folded corner bead.

Does that make sense?

By contrast a thin plasterboard bead holds itself together and while an
expert may hold it in place with a few dabs of his skim coat, it's no
shame for an amateur to tack it in place with a few nails or PB screws
without that slip/slapping urgency I felt with the steel banded tape.
[*] I think the detailed description mentioned something about being
self adhesive but that is just between the steel bands and the tape ie.
no use in fixing it to the corner.
--
fred