Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim C Jim C is offline

Default Carbon monoxide alarm error

I have a bunch of them around the house and some have battery backup even
though there are AC...when batteries get lo they alarm to let you know to
replace it..I have 1 unit that goes lo ever 4 months...going to replace
it..I have about 7 around the house, each one backs up the other..much
better when your dealing with a quiet killer
"Kenneth" wrote in message
On 19 Sep 2008 23:11:46 GMT, Jim
wrote:

Came home today to discover that my First Alert model FCD4 was acting
strangely. Single chirp every minute or so. Looking closely at the
display was the "err" message.

I'm guessing it is one of two factors. #1 being they are cheaply made
and simply don't last more than a couple years. #2 being the sensor is
dirty causing the error message. If so how does one clean it? Would
compressed do?

Howdy,

I will add something to the other comments you have seen...

We had a similar problem (not with a CO, but with a smoke)
and could not find the cause of the chirp.

As it turns out, when these things are hard wired, they talk
to each other, and the unit chirping was not the unit with
the failed battery.

It took us quite a while to sort out, but you might want to
consider that possibility.

All the best,
--
Kenneth