Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Funk Adam Funk is offline

Default Flexible plastic suitable for a fluorescent light diffuser?

On 2008-09-08, wrote:

On 8 Sep,
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

I'm not going to say this won't suffer the same fate as the ikea stuff but
it is proper film lighting diffusion so can take the heat etc. I've had
some bits kicking about here for a year or three and they show no signs of
ageing but they have only been in a room not close to a light heat source.

I've had several light fittings (2D) and lampshades go brown and/or opaque
recently. All were plastic. One noticebly was still as good as new. It was
made from etched (or ground) glass. I've now replaced all fittings/shades
with glass ones. UV light (from CFL/fluorescents) degrades plastic and
anything coloured badly.

I think I forgot to mention that the plywood panels are curved, so I
need flexible "linings"; I'd be very surprised to come across a piece
of glass that happened to have the right size and curvature.