Posted to uk.d-i-y
jal jal is offline

Default Best wood preservative for ...

In article
,
wrote:

Decide if you want it preserved or if you want a surface coating

Thanks. Yes, as I said (implied) below, it's preservative I'm after.
In my experience preservatives also look good, if you choose the right
one, but the choice these days (as with everything) is so wide as to
render me helpless, like a rabbit in the headlights. Maybe I'll just
go for creosote sub.

Some of the preservatives I've used in recent years have been
disappointing, not really soaking into the wood, and instead forming a
friable skin which eventually starts to peel off.

John