Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark Mark is offline

Default Viessmann Combi

On 31 Aug 2008 13:37:32 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
"John" writes:
A friend (as in the Flue question) has had a combi fitted upstairs (new flue
through roof). The fitter did a great job, but the electrician needs to come
in 2 weeks after my friend returns from holiday - therefore it is running
without a room stat at present.

He is concerned about the noise and some of his family have switched it off
at the spur unit. My instinct is that this is a bad idea as it could upset
the pump or fan control.

Shouldn't cause any problems -- boilers have to survive the
occasional power cut. I wouldn't switch it off this way too
often when the burners are alight though, as it may cause
localised boiling and overheating of the heat exchanger
when the pump suddenly stops.

That's interesting. The fan failed on my 3 year old WB combi boiler,
which I discovered immediately when I returned from holiday. The
engineer (one from WB) told me not to switch it off *ever* at the main
switch since the boiler needs to perform self tests every 24 hours and
(the switching off) may have caused the premature fan failure.

I'm not saying I believe him. I am just reporting this since the WB
engineer *should* know what he is talking about.

--
(\__/) M.
See