Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Backyard "Platform"

On Fri 29 Aug 2008 07:04:58p, Pat told us...

On Aug 29, 7:32 pm, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:
Our relatively new yard is in transition and we currently have no patio
or deck. I would like to assemble something semi-permanent that would
be easy to do, as well as easy to disassemble when we upgrade to an
outdoor "room".

My idea was to use 2"x6"x12' pressure treated lumber laid flat at
intervals directly on the ground and anchor them to the soil with
either rebar or stakes to prevent movement. These boards would be
leveled and with a slight pitch for any water runoff. Then construct
the platform floor across these boards also using 2"x6"x12'
pressure-treated boards, attaching them with either galvanized or
stainless steel screws.

We live in the desert, so there's no concern about ground movement due
to winter heaving or damage from excessive moisture.

This would give us a 12' x 12' platform roughly 4" above the ground,
where we would place our grill and umbrella table and chairs.

Does this sound feasible?

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 08(VIII)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
2dys 7hrs 39mins
Progress at best consists of replacing
errors with more subtle errors.

Hmm. Interesting question to balance work, cost, and temporariness.

4" isn't too much. Why couldn't you bring in a truckload of sand,
build it up to the right height, and compact it so it's flat, level,
and solid. Then put on a top coat of wood chips or mulch or something
to keep the sun off of it and to keep it from being a big heat sink.

I'd just taper the edges and not use anything around the sides. It
would last okay for a couple of years -- more with minor maintenance.

When you're done, just spread it around your yard or whatever.

You could do the whole think in topsoil, too, but it would cost more.
Sand is cheap.

A wood chip or mulch top surface would defeat my purpose. I need to be
able easily move chairs with casters and a portable gas grill across the
surface. The grill would probably be alright, but people sitting in chairs
and trying to move them would probably mire down into the surface. Plus, I
don't find the idea of sitting in the midst of wood chips or mulch very
inviting. :-)

I could probably re-use this unit in another area of the yard when our
plans change the the initial area.

Your idea is good and interesting, but probably better for a different
application than mine.

Thanks...

--
Wayne Boatwright