Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Backyard "Platform"

On Fri 29 Aug 2008 05:21:54p, Norminn told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Our relatively new yard is in transition and we currently have no patio
or deck. I would like to assemble something semi-permanent that would
be easy to do, as well as easy to disassemble when we upgrade to an
outdoor "room".

My idea was to use 2"x6"x12' pressure treated lumber laid flat at
intervals directly on the ground and anchor them to the soil with either
rebar or stakes to prevent movement. These boards would be leveled and
with a slight pitch for any water runoff. Then construct the platform
floor across these boards also using 2"x6"x12' pressure-treated boards,
attaching them with either galvanized or stainless steel screws.

We live in the desert, so there's no concern about ground movement due
to winter heaving or damage from excessive moisture.

This would give us a 12' x 12' platform roughly 4" above the ground,
where we would place our grill and umbrella table and chairs.

Does this sound feasible?

TIA

Wood laid flat on the ground would be tough to secure, it seems. How
about landscape cloth with
large pavers and river rock on top. We have that as an "extension" of
our patio - patio has a balcony
above so we can't use the grill under the balcony. Have about 8" space
between pavers filled in
with the rock. Easy to move the grill if we need to and plenty
of flat area for chairs. The l.s. cloth and rock would be nice and tidy
under a deck when you get
around to it. Easy to clean with leaf blower, no other maint. Cheap.

Nice idea, but I really want an uninterrupted flat surface that is elevated
about 4" off the ground.

Your idea would certainly be more attractive than mine, but mine would be
more functional for my needs.

When we laid railroad ties back in Ohio, we secured them into the ground
with rebar. Nothing ever moved. That was my plan with the boards that
would be in contact with the ground. Either rebar or stakes. Once
constructed, I donn't think it would have a chance of moving.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 08(VIII)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day