Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Solder copper pipes under kitchen sink?

On Aug 22, 8:05*pm, Anagram wrote:
Is it common to solder copper pipes under a kitchen sink, or is it almost
universal to use compression connections there? *If you found some already
soldered there, and wanted to put new connections in, would you use a torch
to remove the old ones, then use compression connections for the new ones? *
Or what?

Especially if pipes come out of a concrete slab foundation, and only stick
up 2 or 3 inches, so there is not much excess pipe length to cut and start
over.

Take it from an expert....you seem to be way over thinking this (like
I sometimes do)

How does your exsiting plumbing terminate?

If your existing plumbing is soldered & terminates with a threaded
fitting to which the angle stops are attached...just unscrew the old
angle stops & install new ones.

You can plumb your under sink connects just about anyway you want.

Dual outlet angle stops are available to service kitchen sink,
dishwasher & ice maker. Angle stops are hardly ever used so having
the dishwasher share with the sink hot water isn't a huge deal.

I'm not a huge fan of compression fittings but they're quick & easy.

Not being able to see your installation makes it difficult to
determine the best way to go. Some photos or a complete description
fo the existing condition would help.

If your plumbing comes out of the slab, I would not cut any tube
off. I'd use the existing fittings if I could get them to work.
Failing that, I'd sweat off whatever I had to & then use compression
fittings or Shark Bites.

cheers
Bob