Posted to uk.d-i-y
endymion endymion is offline

Default New electric meter - how to read ( Economy 7 tarriff reader)

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message g...
I am trying to read this meter because there is something wrong with the
way its reading ( or something wrong with the house wiring) because I am
using 200 quids worth of electric a month and I have nothing on.

If you have an isolator switch, switch it off, and see if it's still
recording use.

Are you in a flat, or otherwise shared accomodation of any sort ? - it
could be that the wiring is unbeknownst to you, shared with another.

Take readings now, photograph them if possible, holding a newspaper so
that the date is showing.

Check if the meter is using units against both readings - it could be
that their timeswitch or radio telemeter (switches on receipt of a
radio signal) is knackered.

Thankyou all for the advice. I have now worked out that R stands for day
rate and T is night rate.
I have systematically switched everything off and established the problems
may lie with one storage heater which unfortunately tends to be the one
that has been kept on most of the year ( its unseasonably cold and
permanently raining).

Its now switched off and the meter has dropped to 20 units use overnight
( and that includes the water heater/ immersion which comes on for two
hours.) . Day usage being 16 but we had an electric fire on because of the
cold yesterday. That is significantly lower than it was running.

If I extrapolate the figures for 90 days that would give a night usage of
18473 units. The bill for last quarter showed a usage of 5268 overnight.
You can see why I am worried!

The day rate works out roughly right given that yesterday was a Sunday and
usage was higher. During the week nothing much would be used during the day
( with the heating on at night the fire would not have been in use either).

I need to get new heaters ( the ones I have are 1978 vintage)

Before anyone says anything...... Gas and LPG are not options here. No mains
gas and nowhere to site the LPG tanks with H&S regulations. The price of oil
makes that not worth the outlay. I will probably have to open up a fire
place and put coal in although the cost of that is considerable now ( having
checked it recently and noted that several of my neighbours have just put in
storage heaters changing from oil) or find cheaper heaters.