Swingman

Default Box joints for speaker cabinets help needed

FWIW, a good friend and fellow band member builds some of the best
engineered (and most expensive) speakers in the world. They use a high
quality, veneered MDF, and build the enclosures using glued rabbet joints.
Panels, cutouts, and rabbets are done using a CNC router, but it's a lot
easier to make a rabbet joint in your shop than to worry with finger joints
or dovetails, particularly in your specified material.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/24/03

"Chris Berry" wrote in message
Hi all,
I'd like to know the most efficient way to make fairly large box joints

for
speaker cabinets without spending too much time doing it or a lot of money
on tools.
I do own a router (well two actually) that I usually use for finer work

and
edges but with all the templates I've seen, there's chisel work needed to
square up the joints afterwards.
Is there an easy way to set up a template that can handle this task so

that
I can use box joints for the sides (and back maybe) of the cabinet?
The pieces have edges up to 80 cm (32 inches) and are typically between

1/2"
and 3/4" thick birch ply.
I wouldn't mind using dovetails instead if it's any easier.
Thanks.
cb