Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default boiler output: how many btu's do I need?

Stephen wrote:

Hello,

When fitting a boiler, how do I work out what output the boiler should
have? I can add up the rating of the radiators to give the power
needed for the central heating but what do I add for the hot water?
Also do I add a fraction to compensate for losses?

Thanks.
Stephen.

The boilers in Noah's Ark were rated in btu's - *Kilowatts* is what you
need!

Adding up the ratings of the radiators is putting the cart before the horse.
You need to start by working out the heat losses for each room, and *then*
choose suitable radiators for each room. The boiler needs to have sufficient
capacity to meet the total heat loss, plus some for pipe losses, plus some
for transient conditions (getting the house up to temperature from cold,
fairly quickly) plus some for hot water.

It's best to use one of the free Heatloss Calculation programs from the
likes of Barlo or Myson - they will add all the necessary 'bunce' factors
for you.
--
Cheers,
Roger