Posted to alt.home.repair
Don & Lucille Don & Lucille is offline

Default Sump Basin is always full of water

Is there a long rise of pipe on the discharge? Is thre a check valve to
prevent the water from coming back?
"papa smurf" wrote in message
Hello all. I'm a fairly new homeowner. I purchased a ranch that sits
on about 3 acres of land... This house has had its fair share of
issues for only being 9 years old. It has a basement with two sump
pumps. One I'm sure is connected into the septic system and the other
I believe is intended to divert water that is collected beneath the
house? Anyhow, I have replaced my sump pump for my second time. * I
was lucky to purchase a pump with a lifetime warranty the last go. *
The sump basin is almost always full of water. Would it be safe to
say there is a clog somewhere in the pipe going outside of my property
or even a hole that is causing the water to just filter back into the
basement? My pumps can barely keep up with the constant flow of water
going into the sump basin. There have been occasions where the
electric has gone out, and the basement will flood. (I’m planning to
get a back up pump but that is another story all together.) I know
that water problems should be corrected from the outside in. So I
have made sure to clean my gutters, clear any derbies from the
connecting gutter outlets and made sure everything is properly
diverted away from the house. This has actually helped to keep water
from entering into the basement while the electric is out. However, I
still seem to have a consistent flow of water in the sump basin. Any
suggestions on how I can remediate this problem is much appreciated!