Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default How hot should a transformer get?

On 2008-07-29 06:23:56 +0100, Adam Lipscombe said:

Apologies if this is not strictly a DIY question. I cannot think of
better forum to ask.

I recently bought a cheap and cheerful LCD TV for our camper van. It
can run off 12 volt DC or 240 AC, with a supplied transformer. The
transformer looks like the type you get with a laptop - a separate
oblong black box.

When working from the mains the transformer gets hot - very hot. Last
night we watched 2 hours of telly and when time came to put it all away
I could hardly pick the transformer up. It was almost too hot to hold.

I am worried about a potential fire risk.
Is this normal? How hot do they normally get?

Thanks - Adam

It shouldn't get to that kind of temperature. I would return it. If
the replacement is as hot, then select another product.