Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default What is mercury worth?

wrote:
On Jul 28, 12:08 pm, RB wrote:
Estate sale, fellow has about 5 lbs of liquid metallic mercury.
it was used as adjustable mass/weight in benchrest rifles.
Owner/heir is concerned about EPA issues etc.
But it has a value somewhere.
Do scrap metal dealers buy it?
Is there a price/lb?

I see it for sale for about $6/lb, I see it asked for, willing to pay
$1.50/lb.

Find a taker for any price, its more of a liability (in the current
eco-climate) than an assett.

Googling ' mercury scrap price ' turns up a few listings.

Dave

Just beware -- it's hazardous, and he's trying to get rid of it, so by
the EPA's logic it's not 'useful scrap' it's 'hazardous waste'. If you
accept it from him you're not an amateur 'scrap dealer' you're an
'unlicensed disposal facility'.

In the Portland, Oregon area a homeowner can take that sort of thing to
the Metro gov'mint garbage transfer station and they'll deal with it for
you, where a commercial enterprise would have to spend a day signing forms.

Then instead of seeing it recycled they put it in a drum and ship it off
to a hazardous waste dump in Arlington, OR, where it sits until the drum
rusts through (but at least, as a homeowner, you don't have your name on
the drum forever more so you can be blamed for following the law 50
years down the road).

I'm so glad I have a wise and benevolent government taking care of me.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services