Posted to alt.home.repair
alta47 alta47 is offline

Default Experience with Home Depot or Lowe's Wood Fence Purchase/Installation?

I agree that getting estimates from local contractors would be a good idea.
I have heard some good and some bad reports from people who used HD or
Lowes. Most of the bad news had to do with having HD or Lowes be the middle
person between you and whoever they get to show up at your house to do the
work.

The fence job sounds like a 1-day job. For that type of job, I never pay
any money up front. I work it out so I will be there on the day they do the
job and, as soon as the job is done, I pay them in full in person for the
job. When you give someone a deposit, he/she has no real incentive to get
to your job. Instead, you are on the hook waiting while they are out doing
the jobs where they will get a check for the work at the end of the day.
Once they have a deposit from you, they essentially already have their
profit in their hands.

You can get some very good contract forms from the American Institute of
Architects. Their contract forms include important items that are designed
to protect your interests. Here are a couple of links to their website
regarding contract documents:

http://www.aia.org/docs_purchase&defPr=1

http://www.aia.org/SiteObjects/files...stributors.pdf

I think their contract number A105-2007 is probably what you would want.
They have an AIA office in Phoenix where you can buy the contract forms in
person.

When you do the gate(s), be sure to include a gate or other system where, if
needed, someone with a backhoe, truck, or other heavy equipment can get into
the fenced in area. You never know when you will need to have a tree cut
down or other work done that requires access to the fenced in area. A wide
gate would be good, but even a system where a section of the fence can
easily be removed and replaced will work.

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.247...
We would like to fence in our back yard with 6' x 8' wood fence panels (I
would guess using 4" x4" posts). Wood choices would be probably white
pine, white cedar, red cedar, or redwood for the panels. The total
perimeter is approximately 200 lineal feet. We would probably need/want
two gates. We will probably use either Home Depot or Lowe's for both
product and contracted installation. We live in Mesa, Arizona, so would
only be concerned with heat issues since we get very little rain and
(obviously) no snow or ice. Overall cost is some consideration.

I would welcome opinions on choice of material as well as any
recommendation of Home Depot vs. Lowe's. I understand that both companies
engage or arrange for independent contractors for installation.

We're not quite ready to get estimates, so thought I would ask here first.

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 07(VII)/19(XIX)/08(MMVIII)