Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Minimum Distance By Law that A/C unit must be from Neighbor

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote

Anyone if there's usually a building code that dictates how close you
are allowed to place an air conditioning unit to the dividing wall
between you and the neighbor?

I'm not getting a permit (I'm not sure if its required), but I don't
wan't my neighbor complaining of noise so I want to make sure I stay
within specs!

Here it is 10' from the property line. Better check local codes though.
In some towns I've seen them just inches away.

Depends on the area. In Japan, units are made to install along a thin
walkway/porch almost flush to the house!

Most stateside units are to be 1 ft from your house and at least 10 from the
neighbor but I do not know if that's just where I've been, or the units I've
seen most often are like that. Oh, and a permit is required where I am.