Posted to uk.d-i-y
RW[_4_] RW[_4_] is offline

Default How to strip paint from copper ?

"Phil" wrote in message
I'm thinking to rebuild a victorian lamp post lantern.
It is in a sorry state but is complete and can be made good.
All copper construction so can be straightened and soldered.
It has been painted, and overpainted, many times.
I cannot make any repairs until the metal is clean

Any ideas please on how to remove the layers of paint?
Using heat & scraper is, I think, a non-starter. Too much damage to flat
areas and all but impossible in more intricate areas.
I don't know effect what nitromors or any other paint stripper might have
on the metal.

I hope, when this in in good shape and workable, to leave it to weather
eventually to a pleasant green.
It will be kept well out of distance of thieves, lead strippers and other
assorted neerdowells.

Have it gently sandblasted if the finish is not to be polished.

Otherwise a local paint stripper company might be a better advice service