Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to strip paint from copper ?

In article ,
"Phil" writes:
I'm thinking to rebuild a victorian lamp post lantern.
It is in a sorry state but is complete and can be made good.
All copper construction so can be straightened and soldered.
It has been painted, and overpainted, many times.
I cannot make any repairs until the metal is clean

Any ideas please on how to remove the layers of paint?
Using heat & scraper is, I think, a non-starter. Too much damage to flat
areas and all but impossible in more intricate areas.
I don't know effect what nitromors or any other paint stripper might have on
the metal.

I've used methylene chloride based paint stripper very
successfully on copper pipework. Paint on, leave for a few
minutes, and wipe off. Not sure about effectiveness in intricate
areas. Might need a stiff brush (made of something which doesn't
dissolve in methylene chloride and doesn't scratch copper), and
protection against flicking the paint stripper on yourself.

--
Andrew Gabriel