Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

Default Rawlplug just turning, how can I get a grip?

"Steven Campbell" wrote in message
I put up one of those floating shelves which took 5 screws. It went on to a
brick / plaster external wall.
The rawlplugs said to use 7mm for the hole but I used a 6mm drill knowing
the drill would probably wander slightly.
3 of the Rawlplugs don't seem to be catching at all and the screws just
turn
when they should be getting tight.
I tried upping the screws to size 12 but its just the same. I'm beginning
to think I never went into the brick but into the gaps between the bricks!

I'm not sure if I could get the rawlplugs out without digging into the
wall which I'm reluctant to do as its just been all decorated. Also I
can't move the shelf as its the only wall / height it can be it.

Any ideas on best way to get the screws to take?

Cheers

Steven.

There is not a gap between the bricks, the mortar which joins the bricks
together should be strong enough for rawlplugs

Are you sure that the wall that you drilled was brick? that is did you see
brick dust coming out of the hole?

Although the outer leaf of the wall is brick the inner could be lots of
things e.g breezeblock (ok) or thermalite (very soft), the plaster could be
direct to the wall or dot and dab (therefore a gap between the plaster and
the blockwork behind

You may need to investigate a bit more

Tony