Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drawer slide lube?

On 7/6/2008 8:39 PM KC spake thus:

The drawer slides on an old dresser are wood, somewhat like tongue and
groove except on a much larger scale. A couple of the drawers started
getting hard to slide open, so I applied some Dial bath soap to the
grooves. That helped a little, but still not as free as I would like.
That got me to thinking that perhaps modern soap is not as good for
that purpose as grandpa's old soap. Modern soap is slick when wet,
but doesn't seem to be much use when dry.
Is there a better lube for wood-on-wood, one that will not absorb into
the wood or stain it?

Ordinary candle wax. Just rub a candle along the parts that slide.

It drags itself out of the dark abyss of pish, and crawls insanely up
the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and
doodle. It is balder and dash."

- With apologies to H. L. Mencken