Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eug Eug is offline

Default Miller Syncrowave 250DX welder Amperage problem

This machine is a 2004 model used for tig with a water cooled torch
and foot pedal remote control. The problem started when the remote
cable was damaged causing the machine to give an error code 12. The
foot pedal cable was repaired and the machine now starts up normally.
Now I can strike an arc but cannot get the machine to go over 56 amps.
The foot pedal appears to control the amperage but maxes out at 56,
even with the front panel amperage control set to max. The amperage
indicator reads up to 310 amps when idling but while welding, never
goes over 56.
To try and isolate the problem, I switched to “panel” control of
amperage and in this condition full amperage is delivered. Since we
have other machines in the shop, I swapped in another pedal resulting
in the same problem. (And the first pedal works fine on the other
machine.)
My guess is only two things remain, either the wiring from the plug to
the mother board or the motherboard itself.
I am hoping someone can suggest other tests or possibilities
Thanks!
Eug