Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Estimating cost of future HVAC replacement

wrote:
I am doing some retirement planning. I want to estimate the cost and
lifetime of my HVAC system.

I have central gas heat and ac. The is 2 story and about 2300 feet.
The house was built in 1991.

Also, I would like to do some planning for what to expect. How long
do they last?
I see from some other posts that they may want to replace all the duct
work. What should I look at to prepare to replace these systems. Can
I just replace the AC unit or gas furnace, only the part that fails?
Should I do that?

The upstairs unit is rarely used, only when we have company.

The downstairs outside AC unit is a TRANE XE 800 TTJ730A100B0.
Upstairs outside is TRANE XE 800 TTJ724A100B0. My web searchs have
not even turned up the tonnage of these.

Instead of budgeting for AC replacement, budget for continued maintenance
for the entire building. Someday it'll need a new roof, or water heater, or
termite remediation, or something. Some amount put away each month - and I
have no clue as to the number - is a better planning tool. Retirement
advisors should be able to point you toward some resources.

Good luck.

P.S.
Ductwork is usually forever.