Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Johndagolfer@gmail.com is offline

Default Added responses to clarify what is needed.

On Jun 25, 1:36 pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
wrote in message

Hi all,

I need to hire an electrician to install 2 ceiling fans in my house.

Master bedroom: There is access in a crawlspace for this room through
the closet access panel
Living room: There is no access here.

Both rooms appear to not have any preexisting hook ups.

Not including the fan how much should this job cost?

For just the master I have been quoted 253 labor only and probbably
much more for the downstairs.

What do you guys think?

I'm assuming that there is no existing wiring in place. There are a few
variables to consider. Will the fans also have light kits? Do you want a
separate wall switch for the fan and one for the light kit? If so do you
want a dimmer for the light kit? Would you prefer to not have any wall
switches and just use the pull chains or a remote control for the fan and
light? I suggest that you go with wall switches as frequent pulling on the
chains can wear out those switches prematurely and to pay someone to replace
them might add up to the cost of the fan. The wall switches are good if you
decide to get rid of the fan in the future and install a regular light
fixture instead. If you decide to have one wall switch for the fan and
light kit you will be going forth and back between the pull chain and wall
switch to shut the light off and leave the fan on.

Since there is no access for the living room, some holes will need to be
made in the ceiling and wall so that wiring can be installed. Will you be
making the necessary patches to these holes or do you want the electrician
to do it? Are you going to be responsible for repainting the walls and
ceiling after the holes have been patched or do you want the contractor to
do it?

Hi John,

To answer your question, the fan I want has lights built in to it, it
isn't a kit or anything. The fans, which are both the same come with
remote controls. Does this mean I don't need a wall switch?
Shouldn't the remove me enough? The fans I am getting are really high
quality fans and look really good, I doubt we will replace them before/
if we ever move.

This was a question I wanted to ask. Do electricials repair that
drywall for the damage that is done when peforming the job? How is
this normally repaired?

So guys, thanks for the response. I am in the middle of getting more
quotes. It seems like there is some agreement that 253 for no pre
existing wiring, with access through a attic crawlspace is too much.

I am correct in this assumption?

John