Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to patch spalling brickwork?

On Jun 20, 7:58*am, " wrote:

Thanks for those tips Anna - I think we're going to have a change of
tactics today - I'm going to concentrate solely on prepping the
spalled bricks and limewashing the damaged area.

Coverage was generally 15-25mm (i.e.fairly deep spalling) and North
facing so not getting the sun - but it's 100's of bricks. Having the
whole face lime-rendered might be necessary at some point.

Overnight the patches have taken a good set (the ones rubbed down with
a wire brush late last night have taken the most natural, blended-in
appearance, ones brushed down earlier - less so) - but probably only
50-60% have a good bond.

I think the change of tactics today will reduce any tendency to "get
the mortar on" without sufficiently thorough prep.

how are you defining a 'good bond'? One thing I've noticed is that if
the layer of material is strong enough in its own right then voids
under it cease to be an issue. Whether thats going to apply to an inch
of lime is another question.

NT