Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mark.lauritsen1@gmail.com is offline

Default Need tips on building a brush hog

On Jun 12, 10:03*am, wrote:
On Jun 12, 10:38 am, wrote:

I'm considering building a brush hog; the kind you pull behind an
ATV. *It would be modelled after the Swisher Trail Cutter, which has a
single blade/rotor, 44" cutting width, and 14.5 HP engine. *According
to Swisher's parts diagram, the engine has a 4" pulley and the blade
driver has a 10" pulley (give or take a fraction).

I'm looking for a used 15 - 18 HP engine for my home built machine.
They pop up on craigslist often enough. *I'll buy Swisher's blades.

One area I'm not sure how to construct is the blade drive shaft, hub,
bearings, and pully assembly. *I'm thinking of using a 1 inch keyed
shaft with two flange-mounted bearings, one above and one below the
deck.

So one question is: Does a 1 inch drive shaft seem strong enough?

I would also appreciate a tip on where to get a hub that will attach
the blade to the shaft, or some other means of doing that. *I am not a
machinist, don't have a mill, so I can't fabricate my own hub. *I do
have a drill press, angle grinder, welder.

Thanks.

Swisher probably sells the hub assem. as a replaceable item.

Dave- Hide quoted text -

I looked into it. The Swisher parts are VERY expensive.