Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet[_2_] James Sweet[_2_] is offline

Default JVC tube TV with shrinking picture; worth fixing?

Doug Greenberg wrote:
Hello,
We have an elderly JVC 27-inch tube-type television, Model AV-27BMS (I
think). It's been a good TV for 13 years now (manufacturing date is January
1995). In the last few months, however, it has developed an annoying
problem. The picture periodically shrinks down horizontally (that is, the
screen turns dark above and below, and what's left is a thin, squished-down
picture perhaps three or four inches tall).

If someone bangs lightly on the side of the TV the picture returns to
normal--for a while. But the problem doesn't go away and it actually has
gotten worse.

Any ideas of what would cause this, and just as important, is this a problem
that likely can be fixed for significantly less than the price of replacing
the television? Bringing this heavy sucker to a repair shop would be no
pleasure, but if the problem seems manageable, by gosh I'll do it.

Doug in Berkeley

You've got a bad solder joint in the vertical deflection section. It's a
10 minute fix for someone who knows how to solder. No parts required.

Don't run it like that, you'll burn the phosphor on the face of the tube.