Posted to alt.home.repair
dm440c dm440c is offline

Default Goodman HVAC system control problem- blown transformer

Hi, we have a 4 year old house and the upstairs AC thermostat suddenly lost
it's display. I switched the thermostat with the downstairs one and the
problem stayed with the upstairs unit. I received a tip that the 240v to 24v
transformer might be the problem, so I went up to the attic where the air
handler is and tested the leads on the transformer... sure enough, 240v in is
OK but nothing is coming out on the 24v side. So, I got a replacement
transformer and wired things back up. The display came back on, the unit
switched on and started blowing through the vents and I thought i had fixed
it.

BUT about 5 minutes later i went up to check on it and the display had gone
back out, so something is tearing up the transformers. I'm not an electrical
engineer, but I can't figure out what would burn up a transformer without
tripping the main breaker. Any ideas?