Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Wood filler for window sill

"Pete C" wrote in message
On Jun 5, 5:19 pm, "John" wrote:
I am preparing to Sadolin my window frames - the sills (Cills) on the
front
get most of the sun and have some quite bad lengths where the grain has
opened up - beyond the point where I can hope that a thick layer of
Sadolin
will fill the cracks. Clearly I need to do something otherwise water will
get in and freeze in the winter and cause further problems. The woodwork
is
20 years old - but I hope to get a bit more life out of it.

Can anyone recommend a filler - ideally in a very dark colour - that is
suitable for these quite thin cracks (1mm - 2mm)

Chris has some excellent advice on doing it properly, or why not call
Sadolin and see what they say?

If I was planning a 'high quality bodge' I'd fill the cracks with
brown polyurethane adhesive/sealant (the stuff that comes in a tube,
not a bottle), force it it with a blunt knife, take off the excess
with a sharp blade before it sets then sand it level once set.

cheers,
Pete.

I got a little pot of dark Ronseal Filler today. It went on well and I have
given it a coat of Sadolin. Fingers crossed.