Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Changing a wash basin drain.

The chrome has got in a bad condition (after 20 years) on my wash basin
drain (plug hole) and I would like to replace it. However, access to the nut
underneath is very poor due to the hot and cold pipes, the pedestal and the
wall all being in the way somewhat.
I was wondering if I might stand a chance of unscrewing it from the top by
turning the grille - it is solid brass. Any thoughts? I had thought of
trying to hit the nut with a screwdriver to get it to turn - but the basin
is near a corner so access on the correct side for undoing is restricted.

John