Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterMcC PeterMcC is offline

Default Petrol strimmer / brush cutter recommendations

John Rumm wrote in

I need a petrol strimmer. Basic requirements a

Long - must reach the ground when I am standing up - something most
tools of this sort seem to fail to do!

Usage will be relatively light - an hour a week perhaps trimming
edges, round and under trees etc.

It would be handy if it could take a hedge trimmer attachment - I have
one tall evergreen hedge about 60' long that could use the occasional
taming. The extra reach would be handy - I don't have a hedge trimmer
at all at the moment.

Any recommendations?

I've just bought a JCB-PBC25/F 2-stroke brush cutter / strimmer from Makro
at £75 + VAT

A google throws up stuff like this:
http://www.stocktogo.co.uk/pbc25-25c...ter-p-236.html

Used it yesterday and cut down about 250 sq m of brambles, some of them up
to 20mm in diameter in an hour. I'm frustrated that I finished the job
before the enthusiasm waned - thinking about cutting the flowerbeds and the
wisteria to the ground next.

I haven't used one before so have no basis for comparison but it did what I
wanted and more. Incidentally, as regards length of shaft, I'm around 6'2"
and didn't have a problem - and I know what you mean, sometimes it seems
that the greatest strain is the stooping to operate something that's just
that little bit too short.

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,