Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default Disaster waiting to happen? Using PVC for deck supports???

CWatters wrote:

wrote in message

On Sun, 18 May 2008 18:28:48 -0400, Matt Whiting wrote:

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

said something like:

...[snip]...

The concrete in steel lolly columns is to help keep them from
collapsing in a fire.

....so the preventing a dent thing is secondary, or not a concern...?

No, preventing buckling is a significant advantage provided by filling a
steel column.

Matt

Uh, yes. And the buckling it prevents would be the result of fire. Filling
the
columns with cement is to protect the columns from buckling in a FIRE.

PVC burns doesn't it?

So does steel.