Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bruce[_4_] Bruce[_4_] is offline

Default Replacement wooden slats for garden bench?

Rod wrote:

IME, most "supermarket" cast iron is in fact cast aluminium. Which is
obviously much lighter. In turn the bench is much more likely to be
moved by people, wind, whatever than the heavier real cast iron. And it
will have a different and horrible "sound" - especially if it scrapes
and scratches over a hard surface.

(I really don't know why, but even when thoroughly painted, cast
aluminium is obvious at 1000 paces.)

I agree. But that's about the only criticism I can find of the
Homebase product.

As for finishing, surely either untreated oak or use an oil - much
previous discussion here over the relative merits of the various oils
available such as Danish and Tung oils.

I'm certainly leaning towards oak, and your suggestion of oil is a
good one. I will search Google Groups for previous discussions.