Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Replacement wooden slats for garden bench?

Frank Erskine wrote:
On Sun, 11 May 2008 20:40:15 +0100, Bruce wrote:

I have acquired two old(ish) garden benches which have cast iron ends
in reasonable condition but rotten wooden slats. I had intended to
repaint the ends and replace the slats with hardwood, however my
partner spotted Homebase were selling new benches for only £30 each.

snip

Supermarket garden benches are usually pretty flimsy, so you would
really be better off getting some oak (or similar) slats, even if they
do cost a little more than 60 quid.

snip

IME, most "supermarket" cast iron is in fact cast aluminium. Which is
obviously much lighter. In turn the bench is much more likely to be
moved by people, wind, whatever than the heavier real cast iron. And it
will have a different and horrible "sound" - especially if it scrapes
and scratches over a hard surface.

(I really don't know why, but even when thoroughly painted, cast
aluminium is obvious at 1000 paces.)

As for finishing, surely either untreated oak or use an oil - much
previous discussion here over the relative merits of the various oils
available such as Danish and Tung oils.

--
Rod

onset.