Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Treadmill motor wiring diagram, anyone???

First, you should determine what type of motor was used on the belt sander
(AC or DC), and any other info that you can find out about the motor,
especially if it was an AC induction motor.

You should determine what type of treadmill motor you have. The ones I got
from SC were 90 volt permanent magnet DC motors with a left-hand thread on
the end of the shaft (close to 1/2-13? LH thread).

You wouldn't want to try to connect a DC motor where there was an AC motor.
If the original motor wasn't a DC motor of the same voltage and speed, a DC
treadmill motor will require a DC drive, to drive and control the DC motor.

I don't have a HF belt sander, but I would expect the motor to be a low
quality Chinese AC motor (one of four types of AC motor.. ordinary AC
induction motor, a universal/brush-type motor, a split-phase AC motor, or
permanent split capacitor AC motor).

If the original motor is one of the AC motors that I just mentioned, a DC
motor is not much good to you without a DC drive.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"Dave, I can't do that" wrote in message
Hi,

The motor on my HF 4 x 36 belt sander went belly up after only about 6
or 8 years. Sheesh. I contacted HF for a new one and it is going to be
40-bucks plus shipping and 12 to 15 week wait. sigh

I was scrounging around under the benches and found one of the
Treadmill motors and controllers that Surplus Center used to sell.

Problem is I have a bunch of wires hanging out of the motor and no
idea who goes where.

I checked the dropbox and there is a schematic for the controller but
nothing for the wires to the motor.

Can anyone please help me with how to wire this up.

Thanks guys.

Dave