Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Tips on Cutting Miter Slots on Outfeed Table?

On May 6, 8:48 am, Neillarson wrote:
I am making an outfeed table for my Steel City cab saw, I am thinking
that I will have a fixed piece about 10" out from the saw and a hinged
folding piece after that about 30" out. I want to cut miter gauge
slots to match the saw for about 20 inches but cannot come uo with a
way that will ensure that they match. Any ideas?

I had thought of using my 5 foort straight edge as a router guide and
start it on the saw to ensure parallelism, but how accurate should
this cut be? if there is a little slop in this groove, I would think
that it would have no effect since it is really only there for run
out.

WHat have others done?

Thanks for any feedback.

Neil

Build up the top instead of cutting the slots --
cross section:

__________ _________ __________
|_________|____|________|_____|_________|

Bottom cleats can be a full, 36" wide sheet of
plywood. Depends on what you have available.

Make the slots 1" wide, giving yourself ample
"slop factor" to help your miter bar or sled
guides run easily, even if the slots are less
than perfectly square. Extra depth from using
3/4" plywood helps, too.

I ran the slots the full length of the offcut table.
This lets me run sleds of any depth.