Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Weight of a railroad tie?

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
How much does a railroad tie weigh? We are thinking of using some for a
landscaping project but are wondering how difficult they might be to
handle.

Perce

There are all kinds. There are true railroad ties that were used as rail
beds, taken up, and sold. And of them, there are various widths, cross
sections, and methods of treatment for the various road beds they were
applied to.

Then there are landscaping ties. Those that are cut to the similar
dimensions, but that were never driven with spikes, nor were laden with
rails.

You have old used ties, and new ties that were intended for rail use, but
for some reason just not used. Then there are the modern look alikes that
are just for landscaping.

So, it's hard to give a one size fits all answer.

If you're just looking at them, try to look for even ties that aren't
warped, or overly laden with gook that preserves them. If you're looking at
truly used ties, you can turn the used side down, so look to see if the
clean side is presentable. Where I live, they go for eight to ten bucks
apiece.

Steve