Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Weight of a railroad tie?

On Apr 27, 4:49*pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
How much does a railroad tie weigh? We are thinking of using some for a
landscaping project but are wondering how difficult they might be to handle.

Perce

Depends. Youw ill run into some that are easy to handle, most will be
best at one end at a time and few in the "Dayum!" category. I did
fencing and retaining wall (100 ft x 5') high back in the early 80s.
Some of them are already rotted off, others are still rock solid.

Creosote - depends on how heavily treated. If you can smellit when
you pick them up, you will smell it on a hot day for severall years to
come. I would give mine a sniff test but the eweather isn't warm
enough yet. Don't recall smelling any last year though.

Ties make a cheap retaining wall (compared to alternatives) but have
thier drawbacks.

Harry K