Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_2_] John Grossbohlin[_2_] is offline

Default Removing wood panels in cabinet doors

wrote in message
Hello,

We're revamping our kitchen cabinet, and having doors with rails and
curved stiles we would like to cut out the center panels and replace
them with glass. I know it's just a matter of cutting the inside of
the door about 1/2" around the center, but I'm at a loss on the best
way of doing this.

Are the panels solid wood or some kind of composite? If solid wood there is
probably enough room for movement to split the panel with the grain a couple
times about 2" apart with a chisel and hammer and then cut the 2" wide piece
in half with the chisel. After removing the resulting two small pieces you
can repeat the process for the rest. If the panels are composite a drill to
make a starter hole and handheld jig saw should suffice... probably should
cover the frame with tape if you don't plan to refinish. Of course you need
to own, rent or borrow these tools to use these techniques!

How did you plan to put the glass in? You'll either need a rabbet and some
clips or wood strips and brads to hold the glass or you'll need to take the
frame apart to insert the glass and reassemble.... if you can do the latter
do that to remove the panel.

John