Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison[_2_] Robert Allison[_2_] is offline

Default hinges on solid core door?

Elias D wrote:

I've got a heavy solid-core door with hinge problems. The original
screws have loosened up and stripped out. Several of these were
replaced by what appears to be 3 inch decking screws. Now it appears
that even these decking screws have loosened up and lost traction.

What's the best way to restore solid hinge attachment to the door
frame? These doors are very heavy......

Alot of the other responses cover everything pretty well, but one
item that I use to rework screw holes are golf tees. They are
made from a harder wood and are the perfect size to drive into
the old screw holes and then saw off flush. Covered in glue,
they are the best thing that I have found to solve this issue.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.