Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graz Graz is offline

Default Removing chuck from Black & Decker drill?

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 13:32:42 +0100, "Roger Mills"

Graz wrote:

These usually have LH threads don't they? Any suggestions for easy
removal of a chuck? It's a BD163V (550 Watt).

TIA

Every B&D drill I've had has had a *right* hand thread on the chuck.
[Otherwise it would be in danger of coming loose when drilling in the normal
direction].

That makes sense. I was possibly thinking of the screw inside the
chuck (and this one doesn't have a screw).

The best way of removing the chuck is to use the chuck key and a hammer.
Insert the key so that it is in a horizontal plane on the RHS when looking
from behind the drill (as per the illustration at
http://www.mtmc.co.uk/product.asp?co...yes&P_ID=19641) and give the
end of the key a sharp downward tap with the hammer. It should then unscrew
easily by hand.

Presumably with the chuck open as far as it will open?

Do you have a handbook for the drill? If so, it almost certainly tells you
the same thing.

Unfortunately, no handbook.