Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Dead Electrical Circuit Troubleshooting

wrote in message
Hello guys,

I've got a dead circuit in my house. I tested the output of the
breaker, and it's fine. I have also done some research, which
indicates that a tripped GFI outlet could cause the problem, however,
I removed the GFI that's on the dead circuit, and there is no power
going to the GFI even. None of the lines, on that circuit, that I've
located in my house are hot.

Does anyone have some additional troubleshooting ideas?

Thanks,

Trevor

First you want to determine if the hot leg is dead, or the neutral, or both.
If both legs are dead, I'd be looking for a GFCI device upstream of all the
dead stuff. If not, assuming you have determined which breaker controls the
string, and it's good, you need to find anything live on that circuit, and
check for loose, possibly back stabbed connections there. I would probably
pay most attention to outside outlets that are dead, as the hostile
environment lends itself to corrupting connections