Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Latex Paint - Tacky/Sticky finish days after painting - Solutions?

schooner wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
schooner wrote:
I painted a birch plywood desk work surface with latex CIL SMART3
WASH & WEAR Kitchen & Bath paint
http://www.cil.ca/en/brands_smart.html (at the suggestion of the
HD paint guy) as he said it would give a durable washable finish.
The surface was first lightly sanded and primed with Kilz2 and
then two coats of black latex.

The issue I am having is that the paint surface seems to remain
tacky/sticky when items are placed on it then moved later. The
surface is dry to the touch but items do stick after a few
minutes. From reading I understand this may be an issue with
latex paints and known as blocking. It has only been 3 days
since the final coat was put on so perhaps it is just an issue of
waiting longer for drying?

Is there anything I can do to get rid of or reduce this beyond
repainting? Will it go away after a week or so or will it remain
for the live of the paint? What about waxing or using talcum?
Since the is a semigloss black finish I wonder if talcum would
cause a mess. For wax what would be the bets to use?

Any other suggestions?

It may or may not go away. Give it a couple of weeks and see what
happens. Looking at the paint you used, it's from Imperial
Chemical Industries, it's got Teflon and ceramic microspheres,
it's won several awards, so I don't think that the quality of the
paint per se is the issue. Was the piece above 70F and the
humidity below 50% when you painted? If it wasn't, then try
warming the room and keeping it warm for a week or so. May be too
late but it won't hurt anything.

If you decide to try waxing it, Butchers Wax and Johnson Wax are
both good, silicone-free products with a long track record. If
you can't find either of those, go down to the local bowling alley
and ask them what they use and where to get it and it will
probably be OK.

If you want a quick and permanent fix, find a paint store (not a
store that sells paint, but one where paint is their primary
business) that has a good brand of waterborne polyurethane, get
some mixed in the color you like, and overcoat with that. Should
be able to get several coats on in a day and the next day it
should be ready to use. Make sure you tell them what you are
about so that you get the right primer and sealcoat.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Thanks. The temp was around 68-70F, was painted in my basement
which is very dry and humidity is fairly low. I also ran the
dehumidifier on full the days they were painted and the day after
as well. Perhaps I should just keep it running full in the room
with the painted surface.

From what I can see about the paint it is suppose to be good
quality and fairly durable, it may just be that it needs more
drying time is all at this point. I have a few things on it now
(LCD monitor, keyboard, mouse, lamp) as I need to use the surface
but will try and keep most of it clear as long as possible.
Nothing is sticking yet to the point it is removing paint, it just
seems very tacky when anything is moved and I don't want to mark it
up if I can avoid it.

Set your things on waxed paper.

--

dadiOH