Posted to sci.electronics.repair
A. Kay A. Kay is offline

Default PTC Thermistor for nicad battery pack

My batteries are definitely nicads. Do you think if I used a thermal
protector switch instead of a thermistor (which I think I have) will it
damage anything? I could check the resistivity of the thermistor out of the
circuit and if it is zero at room temperature then I think it will probably
work since a thermal protector switch is basically on or off.

"Jimmie D" wrote in message

"Ross Herbert" wrote in message
For the Sensata Klixon device I don't know of a reseller so if you
specifically
want that item you should enquire from Sensata. Sensata say that theie
USA/Canda
distributor is Component Concepts http://www.componentconcepts.com/ but
to see
whatthey have you have to click on the Thermal products tab and select
Texas
Instruments from the menu. Apparently, Klixon came unddr the TI company
at one
time and CC haven't updated their catalog yet. One product which has been
around
in their range is the 7AM and this is also made by a number of companies
ie
Thermtrol http://www.thermtrol.com/

There are other manufacturers of similar devices which have been around
for a
long time. ie Pepi http://www.pepiusa.com/modn.html
Electronic Goldmine sells a pack of 3 for $1 each
http://www.goldmine-elec-products.co...?number=G14366

Hope this helps.

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 07:18:32 GMT, "A. Kay" wrote:

:Thanks for the advice. My device looks nothing like the thermal
protector
:in the pdf. Mine looks similar to an epoxy coated tantalum capacitor.
So,
:this thermal switch might be a viable replacement. Do you know of a
:supplier?

I have seen some batery packs with thermistors. They look like a two
wirres with a tiny drop of epoxy on the end, smaller than a mtch head.
These were used in the battery packs of some aviation radios when they
used lead acid batteries. Since they switched to using nicad the
thermistor is no longer used.

Jimmie