Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cold room above garage (did you fix yours?)

In article ,
Jon writes:
Hi,

We've got a bedroom above the garage in our eight year old house which
is always 5 deg C colder (or more) than the rest of the house on cold
days. The fact that the bedroom floor is always cold leads me to
believe the insulation requires significant improvement between the
garage ceiling and bedroom floor.

I've read these previous threads which seem sensible:

http://xrl.us/bg5jr (Link to groups.google.co.uk)

and this:

http://xrl.us/bg5jt (Link to www.diynot.com)

What I'd like to know is has anyone suffered with this cold room above
garage syndrome, improved the insulation, and actually fixed the
problem? If you have, can you state what you did and what materials
you used please? I can't pull up the flooring as we've just had new
carpet laid but would be prepared to pull down the plaster ceiling if
necessary.

Mine has fibreglass (looks like regular loft insulation)
in the gap. There's probably around 6" -- certainly it's
most of the 8" (IIRC) height of the joists. (That's a 1990
house.)

My parents recently had a single storey flat roofed extension
insulated. (Built in 1964, originally just foil backed board
and strawboard roof as insulation. Strawboard had been
replaced with ply.) I wasn't there, but I understand
they took down a strip of plasterboard along the centre
of the room perpendicular to the joists, and slid more
solid fibreglass bats along above the ceiling to the
edges. Ceiling was then repaired and the room was to be
decorated anyway.

--
Andrew Gabriel