Posted to alt.home.repair
KLE KLE is offline

Default water softener repeatedly forming salt bridge?

Thanks for advice and ideas. I think it could be a combination of all
of the above. We filled it pretty high the last time we put salt in,
and the sides do look a bit crusty. It's also very warm and probably
humid in the area of the softener - it's a central "utility" room in a
ranch/slab house with furnace, water heater, laundry facilities, etc.
all in a very small space.

Thanks again,
Karen

On Feb 23, 5:00 pm, KLE wrote:
The first year or so we lived in this house, the water softener worked
fine and used about 1 bag of salt per month. This past summer, after
dishes not getting cleaned properly in the dishwasher I realized there
might be a problem with the water softener and that we hadn't needed
to add salt in a while. It had formed a salt bridge, which we attended
to with a broom handle according to instructions found from various
sources, and water quality and cleaning went back to normal. Since
then, salt bridges have been forming on a regular basis. It's a
Kenmore softener, and according to the writing on the cupboard door
next to it, was installed 7/02, so theoretically it's just over 5
years old. Any idea why the appliance is now forming these salt
bridges regularly, and what to do to get things working properly
again?

Thanks for helpful suggestions,

Karen