Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Levie Jim Levie is offline

Default what metal/thickness to make 4 burner griddle for gas stove

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 09:47:09 -0600, RoyJ
wrote:

I think I'd just get a piece of 3/8" aluminum plate, rivet some suitable
handles on the sides. The advantage of the aluminum is that it has very
high heat conductivity, the entire plate will be at the (almost) same temp.

A stainless plate would need to be very thick to avoid warping:
stainless is a fairly poor heat conductor, the areas over the burners
will expand while the outside edge stays much cooler. That will make the
center dish up/down, not fun for fried food prep.

I agree, the conductivity of aluminum makes it a better choice than
stainless. I'd suggest using a 1/2" or 5/8" AL plate for more heat
storage and better distribution. Cast iron would also work well and
should not warp.

Now if you could find a 3/8" plate of copper...