Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default 2 Electrical Questions: Loops in Service Panel, Slack at Boxes

In article
,
wrote:

Do you feel it is preferable to pull the service conductors into
the panel and run them right to the lugs, or cut them long and
form them into a loop?

In virtually all of the work I have seen (done well) in a service panel, the
conductors run straight down the sides (parallel to the vertical side of the
panel) then make a tight 90-degree "turn" into the breaker lug. I have never
seen a telco-like "slack loop" where the conductor extends PAST the lug then
makes a 180-degree turn back up - then a 90 into the lug. To me, that would
be overkill.

In any ostensibly permanent installation there should be enough slack to
remake the connection at least once, perhaps twice. Any more slack wire than
that is wasted, would tend to crowd the enclosure and possibly become a rats'
nest if future work is performed in the box.

when trimming boxes, I tend to measure 8" or so along the
cable jacket, then staple it at that point on the cable,
but closer to the box, leaving a standing loop.

You leave a slack "loop" OUTSIDE the box? If yes, I disagree with the
practice. The romex should proceed straight and true into the box and, per
code, be secured outside the box and, where it enters the box, with a proper
clamp. All slack wire should be contained INSIDE the box. There should be
enough slack wire so that the wiring device extends COMPLETELY outside the box
to facilitate making its connections.

I feel this helps relieve potential strains, and allows the cable
to be pulled into the box at some future time if more wire is needed,
or the box needs to be moved slightly. Does anybody else do this?

I don't.

What do you think of this practice?

Not much.

Leaving slack cable inside a wall is a bad idea for several reasons: The
slack will interfere with insulation. It may be vulnerable to damage by
future attachments to the wall. It is also contrary to common installation
practice.

Accommodating for the POSSIBILITY of moving the box in the future SOUNDS good
but is impractical. I can't remember ever moving a box JUST ENOUGH so that
the slack you imply would accommodate the move. I have always had to replace
the run or splice on a new section inside the old box (blank cover plate or
just another duplex receptacle) and place the NEW box where needed.
--

JR